Tuesday, May 10, 2011

It's Tuesday?

Woah.  I cannot believe that our little burrito is six days old already.  One week ago tonight, I went into labor.  No matter what, all babies come out when they're ready.

I've been slowly typing up our birth story.  It was a 32-hour labor, so it's going to take me some time.  There's so much that's happened since Weston's been born, and I'm trying to remember it all while going on less than optimal sleep.  I'm actually surprised at how well I'm handling life (and someone else's life) given the fact that the longest I've been able to sleep consecutively is about 3 hours.  It does get better--at least that's what I'm told.  These first few weeks are going to be hard.  And despite what everyone says ("Sleep when the baby sleeps"), that is no simple feat.  It's not like I'm running around doing housework or even cooking, but there are some things that I have to do while he's sleeping:


  • Take feeding myself, for instance.  I haven't quite mastered breastfeeding so gracefully yet that I can feed Weston and myself at the same time.  I attempted it yesterday morning as we were scurrying out of the house for his first doctor's appointment.  I needed to eat something, and Weston wasn't satisfied with his breakfast from an hour before, so there I was, eating with my left hand while trying to nurse.  My mother-in-law had to scoop out the last few bites of yogurt for me.
  • Self care is something else that needs to happen.  So far, I've been able to shower every day, but I need to make sure he's good and fed and asleep before I clean up from the day's events.  I think I've managed to brush my teeth twice in any 24-hour period, so that's good...  By the way, I've stopped referring to "days;" instead, everything goes in 24-hour increments for me.
  • Hanging out with Nate is important to me, too.  Last night, we were able to watch a little bit of the NBA playoffs together while we ate dinner, and talk about something that had nothing to do with the baby.

By the way, I apologize for any errors in my writing right now.  I'm noticing that the red squiggly spell check line is showing up much more than I care to share as I type this post...

Anyway, things are going well.  Yes, I've got the baby blues, but they're getting better.  I'll write more about those later.  In the meantime, here are some shots of our little man:

Nursing Coma

Getting ready to go home from the hospital

Grandma Becca and Grandpa Brady came all the way from Iowa to visit

Snoozing under the warmth of Grandma Alyce's "Stinky Feet" quilt she made

Nate and Weston rocking out to Radiohead in the first Baby Bjorn experience.  He loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment