Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sleeping and Swaddling

I can't believe this.  It's 6:40 am and I just put Weston back down to sleep after having put him down for bed at 10:30pm last night.  Is this a fluke?  Or the start of something awesome?  I'm wide awake having gotten nearly six hours of uninterrupted sleep myself--"a new lease on life."  I didn't go to bed until 11 or so, and I had to get up at 4:30 to hand express to relieve the discomfort of not having nursed for so long.  But I was able to fall back asleep for a little bit before he started stirring.  Even then, though, when I changed his diaper before feeding him, he wasn't really awake.  And when he fed, he didn't really open his eyes and promptly fell back asleep after he was done.

I'm not exactly sure what it was that led to this, but I'm really leaning toward the fact that I swaddled him after his bath and put him to sleep that way.  I don't usually do that for bedtime, but now I'm thinking that I will.  He also was awake quite a bit yesterday with two good naps and then several little cat naps including one in the Bjorn and one in the stroller for about an hour each.

Our little snoozing sailor
I don't know...I'm going to try it all again tonight and see what happens.  I keep reading about the importance of a bedtime routine.  I always get hung up on the fact that babies don't need a bath more than every other day (and even that can be too much), but if I want to make bath time part of the bedtime routine, then what to do?  I'm guessing that I can just draw up a tub of warm water and put him in there and not wash him.  He absolutely LOVES bath time, and it really calms him down.

4 comments:

  1. HI Weston! You are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn! Christy from Bradley Class here...I just read this and I have to say that, no, I don't think it is a fluke! We swaddle Eva at bedtime, first using the Halo Swaddle Sack, and now the Summer Infant Swaddle (both from Target), and she has been sleeping through the night almost every night since about two weeks after she was born! We tried one night to put her to bed without it, and she woke up constantly. I really do believe it has a lot to do with swaddling her. I also had not planned on bathing her every day either, but she loves her bath, and it has become part of our daily routine, and frankly...if baby is happy, momma is happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could say that swaddling every night works for Weston...it was just a fluke. It hasn't happened again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer! Maybe we are just insanely lucky then...everyone keeps telling me to enjoy it while it lasts, because it probably won't! :)
    Can't wait to meet the 'lil guy at the Reunion!

    ReplyDelete