Friday, August 12, 2011

Moving On...

I accepted a job in Covington, Kentucky yesterday afternoon as their ESL teacher in the middle and high school!  I'm a whole range of emotions--happy to be finally getting out of Wisconsin and on with the next phase of our lives.  Sad to know that I have to go back to work and leave my baby boy with a complete wacko--Nate.  Angry that I don't have the luxury of staying home full time with Weston.  Scared to start a completely new job with people that speak with a twang and refer to me as "ma'am."

But, with all the other adventures I've tackled in my life, I know I'll be able to get through it.  I have to say, though, that the challenge of being a mom is really overwhelming at times.  I think with all my other challenges (studying abroad in Spain, doing the bike trip last summer, traveling in India...to name a few) there was always a reasonable and manageable amount of time before it was over.  I've discovered with being a mom that there isn't an end in sight.  That's daunting.  On top of that, Weston is so unpredictable.  I never know how much he's going to sleep or if he's going to nurse really well.  Or what mood he'll be in when he wakes up.

I find myself doubting this motherhood gig quite frequently as of late.  I wonder why in the hell I got myself into this thing.  Why didn't I listen to other people say how hard this is and just have a child-free life?

Needless to say, I've been a little blue lately...  Perhaps it's just all the stuff that's going on besides having a baby.  My sister sent me this article to cheer me up a bit and to help me to keep remembering that I'm not the only mom who thinks that this is "too hard."  And when he's super cute like this, I cheer up instantly:

Grabbing the tootsies

So big!
By the way, I don't think this motherhood gig is not all it's cracked up to be everyday.  It's actually very infrequently that I think this.  I think it's been surfacing because in addition to all the craziness in my life as of late, Weston suddenly developed "baby ADD" these past few days while breastfeeding AND it seemed as though he forgot how to sleep more than 3 hours at night.  He would absolutely not nurse, or if he started to, he would pull off after a few seconds.  It was like all of a sudden he could see and hear every single thing that was going on around him.  This was incredibly frustrating (and painful!), and I didn't know what was wrong or what to do.  But, like any other breastfeeding problem we've come to, we've been able to push past it and figure out how to continue to make it work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robyn! First off, you are not alone in feeling this way. There are many days that I wonder what in the heck I have gotten myself into, and how I am going to survive the next 18 years :) it always helps me to know that I am not the only one to feel this way (my best friend had a baby a week after me, so we are always sharing our baby woes), and that I'm not a bad mom for having these feelings- I'm human. And I glad I read the link you posted about "baby ADD".. Eva had been sleeping through the night since about 3 weeks, and in the last few weeks she started waking up in the middle of the night. I too thought, since she had been sleeping through the night, there's no reason she should be waking up! I was about to start trying to let her cry it out, thinking she was just testing me. She has also begun to feed irregularly, only feeding for about 5-10 minutes because she is too busy looking around and getting distracted. Glad to know it's perfectly normal and will (hopefully) pass soon! Good luck with the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the more new moms are honest about what they're going through, the easier it is. Glad to know that Weston isn't the only baby who has forgotten how to sleep or eat... I know it's a phase and will be over soon (I hope). It's just not good timing with having to go back to work next week!

    ReplyDelete