Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Yay for Z-Packs!

It's been a week.  And it's only Wednesday.  I've spent a lot of time on Web MD and have learned quite a bit of new vocabulary.

His incisors are coming in.  Slowly.  Painfully.  Drool everywhere.  Finger chewing.  Raunchy poop.  Snot pouring out of his nose.

Then he tripped on Sunday night coming out of the tent that Nate set up in the front room (see picture below), creating some amazing imprints of his two bottom front teeth into the inside of his lower lip.  The impact also tore his frenulum from his upper lip, leaving a shockingly large and difficult-to-clot wound inside his mouth.  I was wearing white that night.  Oh, the blood...  But some cuddle time and an ice cube while watching Elmo's world helped all that (God Bless youtube).

Then, on Tuesday night, I noticed that he would cough a couple of times, followed immediately by a high-pitched inhale.  It kept him up and every couple of minutes he would have a coughing spell.  Nothing too crazy, but enough that I started to wonder about whooping cough.  The next day, I was on the phone with my genius sister, asking her about whooping cough, and she could hear his sharp inhale.  She suggested taking him into the doctor.  After a crappy night of sleep for everyone in the house, I took him in this morning.

Guess what?  Weston's got a mild case of pertussis.  He's been vaccinated, but turns out that there is a chance that people can still get it even though they've been vaccinated.  It's called an attenuated illness.  It happens with chickenpox and other such diseases that we have vaccinations for.  The doctor prescribed him azithromycin, a pretty heavy duty antibiotic.

We were supposed to go to Chicago this weekend for my cousin's wedding, but because he cannot be around other people for the next five days, especially other children, we had to cancel.  I'm super bummed.

I will say that the medication seems to be working really well because Weston was all smiles this evening and actually let me put his Halloween costume on.  He wanted nothing to do with this thing for the past two weeks.  So we quickly went to two neighbor's houses and went trick-or-treating for about five minutes.  It was totally adorable and made my night after such a crazy week.

Thanks to Joyce for another amazing hand-me-down!!
My little lion

Totally geeked about his costume!

A bucket for candy (thanks, Aunt Terry!)

Neighbor Steve offering some treats

Excited about the Fire Fairy inside Ann's pumpkin

First Reece's peanut butter cup--loved it!

2 comments:

  1. What a cutie! I hope he's totally better at this point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing much, much better. There's still a lingering cough, but that takes awhile to completely clear up. Thanks!

      Delete