Thursday, September 2, 2010

What's in a Name?

I can tell you where the title of the blog came from...  Nate and Jeff are starting a design firm in Cincinnati in 2011 when Nate's done with school.  They've toyed with several names, but one in particular has won out: Cincinnati Design Project.  In trying to come up with a name for this blog, I liberally borrowed from them.  Nate smiled when he read it, so I think it's okay.

Speaking of names, when I was in Greece back in 2001, I spent some time with a family that had a 6-month old son.  When I asked what his name was, they said something like, "We think it's going to be X."  Confused, I inquired why he didn't have a name yet.  They explained to me that in their culture, the parents don't pick out a name for the baby before it's born; rather they wait to see what name he grows into.  I thought that sounded like a relaxing way to name a baby, so I brought it up to Nate.  He liked the idea of procrastinating.

1 comment:

  1. I really don't like the idea about waiting till the child grows into a name. The only thing the baby should grow into is clothes.

    It can't be that hard to name a baby....right?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete